Ever wondered how self-driving cars work? Or how ChatGpt can generate content? The answer to this question is artificial intelligence. An extremely powerful technology it gives machines a brain to act on there as per the inputs given to it. Such has been its influence that AI education is included in the primary subjects list of many schools. Today, let’s explore why?
Artificial intelligence has been the center of attraction for some time now. Positively impacting lives with the ability to automate tasks, act like humans, and act on their own is attracting users more and more. In contrast to natural situations, you don’t need human supervision for your tasks anymore, just deploy your artificial intelligence code and you’re done. Be it detecting the failure of a machine, defects in the product, or detecting online suspicious activities.
Keeping in mind the benefits of artificial intelligence. We will today explore the impact made by AI in education. First, we will take you on a tour of artificial intelligence origin, talking about Alan Turing, who first imagined that machines can talk to humans and behave like them. Then, we will go on to discuss the impact it has made in our life. Later exploring multiple technologies and benefits of AI in the education industry.
Artificial Intelligence definition
Software programs that give machines the ability to perform human-like problem-solving using their intelligence are called Artificial Intelligence. This is achieved by training computer programs with big datasets to drive up their understanding. Furthermore, to ensure the machine’s intelligence is top-notch, various fields like machine learning, deep learning, computer vision, and Natural Language Processing are used.
The history of AI research and development is as old as the second world war, where British computer scientist Alan Turing got to thinking about whether machines can converse. In 1950 created the famous Turing test. The next forty years saw small developments in the field of AI like WABOT-1, Ferranti Mark 1, and many more. But the first breakthrough came in 1997 when IBM’s Deep Blue became the first computer to defeat the then-world chess champion, Garry Kasparov.
Cut to the present. After about seventy-three years of constant innovation, artificial intelligence is a necessity in our daily life. From understanding our needs to helping us find quick solutions AI is everywhere. Be it homes, offices, or cars. Artificial intelligence is making everything better.
Why do we need AI(Artificial Intelligence)?
Human capabilities are finite. Be it the power of processing or work, there is always a saturation point that comes with every human. On the other hand, the requirements are infinite. To illustrate there are thousands of possible combinations in a chess game, but an average human cannot analyze every possible one. With their ambitious nature and aspirations, humans need a solution. A solution is more powerful than its limitations. When compared to their capabilities, that can help them overcome their limitations and get the best out for them. That is where artificially intelligent machines come into the light.
Artificially intelligent applications help humans overcome these limitations. Undeniably high computational powers and decision-making algorithms can process complex data and produce insightful results in real time. Moreover, its ability to mimic humans, learn more to improve their understanding, and optimization of problems makes them worthy of integration.
Working to its promise artificial intelligence has come up strongly in the last ten years. By managing small to huge tasks easily, artificial intelligence is slowly becoming part of everyone’s daily life. For example, check out phone chatbots that you interact with daily for performing actions. You can call, message, and even suggest health recommendations based on your daily performance. Not only can it be used as a software, but also integrated in website development and mobile development for better results. Without a doubt, AI is going to rebuild how we interact in the coming times. You can be anyone and anywhere, and you will feel the change.
How Artificial Intelligence is Changing Education
After knowing what artificial intelligence is, its history, and its applications. Now, it’s time to dive deep into how artificial intelligence is changing education. Hence, we have listed some of the major changes in education post its integration with artificial intelligence.
- Individualized Learning: There are over eight billion people on Earth. Everyone has a different level of understanding. For some, complex topics are easy, while for some easy ones require more practice. Artificially intelligent education systems help students individualize learning according to their unique needs. Always changing itself according to the student. Take the case of Squirrel AI, whose supervised artificially intelligent learning programs have helped hundreds of students improve their understanding.
- Streamlining Learning methodology: Helping teachers spot errors in course artificial intelligence is instrumental in making the topic easy to understand. To explain, let’s understand it like this. AI education uses its capability to analyze big data sets and multiple algorithms. Find problems and suggest solutions for users to improve. Not just that, you can also create suitable learning material for students. Thus, creating courses is efficient and effective for every student. Take the example of Udemy, which uses a content recommender system to help students find solutions specific to their needs.
- Improved access: If there’s one reason education has not reached everyone, it’s the lack of access. Naturally, a necessity for survival, artificial intelligence can help improve access to education for everyone. Perennially breaking age, location, language, and other physical barriers for everyone. AI recommends courses and subjects, conducts adaptive tests, and even translates course content. As a result, multiple ai based learning platforms are creating an impact in the life of hundreds of people.
- Automation of tasks: Helping education institutions focus more on teaching than menial tasks. Artificial Intelligence creates ease of flow and streamlines operations at work. Some of the tasks that are automated include grading, feedback, and maintaining records. Helping teachers and students with ample time to focus on the main task.
- Interactive Classrooms: Changing the way students experience education. Artificially intelligent chatbots, virtual reality environments, and chatbot assistants can interact with students twenty-four-seven. Empowering them to learn by themselves whenever and wherever however they want. Truly, some institutions have developed multifunctional chatbots to help students with doubts, assignment submissions, and feedback about their work. As a result, they experienced an increase in enrollment and engagement of learners.
Different Artificial Intelligence Technologies in Education
Boosting every industry’s AI in education is a big revelation in present times. After understanding the above changes in education with AI. As an illustration, let’s discuss some of the top technologies that power these changes. Following this, learn to decide its effectiveness yourself.
- Chatbots: Software programs with the in-built capability to interact and respond to the user’s queries are known as chatbots. When employed, they give students the freedom of interaction and let them solve their doubts whenever they want. Not just students, they can also help teachers by automating time-consuming, redundant tasks in their daily life. Solving your user’s problems be it teachers or students they are a great addition to any institution. As an example, to integrate chatbots into your plan, you can look at DialogFlow. Powered by Google, it creates interactive and multipurpose chatbots with ease.
- Speech Recognition: Based on Natural Language processing, speech recognition detects what is being said by the user and transforms it into text. Thus, finding wide usage in the education industry has alleviated learning limitations for people with disabilities. In addition, when combined with language processors it helps learners in correcting words, grammar, and tone. Yet speech recognition has a wide scope for improvement. They have to develop solutions for things like software training, speaking speed, and high costs for wider reach.
- Virtual Reality: Bringing the world to one place without moving a needle is the magic of Virtual Reality. Created with a blend of artificial intelligence with 3D modeling virtual reality gives students an immersive and interactive experience. Despite being costly, they have made their presence count in the education industry. Research and surveys have concluded that students’ interaction and education experience can boost by up to fifty percent with the help of virtual reality.
- Robotic Process Automation: Used to automate and ease menial daily life tasks. Robotic process automation is helping the education industry clear through routine and deliver value. Undeniably making educational institutions flexible and responsive in their approach to work. As an illustration, you can take a look at the tasks like student enrollment, data update, course scheduling, and attendance management are some tasks automated by RPA.
- Recommender Systems: By helping students personalize their education, recommender systems have been very much used in Online learning platforms. They track users’ performance and interaction in real time. Simultaneously recommending courses and learning methodologies to follow. Take the example of Coursera and Udemy whose AI for education have been top notch for some time using that.
Will artificial intelligence replace Teachers?
The answer to this question is not a straight one. While there will be less need for generalists in education, demand for experts is going to see faster growth. Moreover, ai education has a big distance to go before it can be a perfect replacement for teachers.
The iByte Edge
iByte is one of the leading companies in the AI industry, working and delivering projects of the highest quality to its clients. Our experts are always inspired by the idea of making an impact on the company. Join us on the exciting journey for change.